Frameworks for Integrating Technology into Education

 This week we're discussing frameworks for technology integration in education. Of the frameworks discussed, I find SAMR and Triple E to be the most intuitive. I elected to dive a little deeper into SAMR. 

 Reading the swimming pool analogy on Jaclyn B. Stevensons' website, I found the analogy a little hard to follow. However, the embedded video made it a little more clear for me. The SAMR model is a matter of progression, starting with technology merely replicating what can be done without technology, and "ending" (so to speak) with technology opening up entirely new possibilities.

One such possibility that Youki Terada puts forth is inviting the author of a book to virtually chat with a class after said class has finished the reading. The library I work at was able to do something like this a few months ago, in which Leah Johnson - the author of You Should See Me in a Crown - paid the teen area of our library a visit via Zoom, allowing her to chat with the teens in our library.

Image via Publisher's Weekly

 

Conversely, some of the things Terada describes as redefinitions seem more like substitutions, such as virtual pen pals or virtual field trips. I suppose the reason these might be considered redefinitions is because said pen pals and field trips could be something previously inaccessible, but that still strikes me as a stretch. I think that to truly redefine learning, you need to go further than that. 

It's difficult to imagine what a true redefinition would look like. Quadblogging may be an example, and I am grateful that Terada linked to this article. Having four teachers from across the globe work together to teach their students is almost certainly something that can't be replicated without technology.

In regards to the framework itself, SAMR does a good job of illustrating that the way technology integrates into learning is varied, and that technology can be implemented in many different ways and at many different levels.

Comments

  1. I've been involved in Quadblogging projects. They truly were an example of redefinition. Where do you think you fall under SAMR with your use of technology, Ruby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had many opportunities to actually teach yet, but I suppose the one or two instances I have, I have only used substitution; mostly giving students a website to reference rather than a physical handout.

      Delete
    2. I definitely selected my google account, so I have no idea why that reply came out as anonymous.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I also had to look up what exactly the frameworks meant and how it worked. I am so use to saying technology integration and not knowing specifically that I was using a technological framework. I am curious, I know that you work at the reference desk in the library, but have you ever used or help customers used any apps in the library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mostly just done my sales pitch for Hoopla and Libby and refer the patrons to our brochures that explain how to use them. I did have a question regarding how to use Libby to read a book on the regular kindle e-reader, but at the time I couldn't recall the process so I referred them to an experienced librarian.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction